Thread: why hydrogen
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 03:21 AM
DanielC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydrogen where do we get it?

I would love to be able to run my vehicles on Hydrogen, especially if I could get it for free. It has been suggested that we use use photo cells to generate the electricty. Is there a source of inexpensive photocells? Not that I know of. Wind turbines? This is a new tech idea that is starting to be implemented, but, there is not a lot of them, yet. As the population continues to grow, we are going to need even more electricty for the homes we all live in.
The fact still remains, we are currently burning fossil fuel to generate electricty, even here in the Pacific Northwest, where we historically have had an abundance of electric power. Why do you think the aluminium smelters in the Northwest have been shut down?
With most of the aluminium smelters shut down, where do we get the aluminium to use the process mentioned in this thread.
I still find it ironic that many people, and I am one of them, use electricity for a heat source in our homes, and to generate the electricity, power companies are burning natural gas, to create heat, to turn a turbine, to generate electricity.
If we do go to a large scale use of hydrogen for motor vehicles, where do we get the electricity to make it?
One more thought, I could be wrong, but is not water vapor a greenhouse gas?