View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 05:37 PM
dzldenny
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My $.02. I just went to the local tech school for a class on making BF. I can tell you because I saw it myself that at 40 deg F B100 turns to jello. They told me antigel additives for bio get better every day, but don't work near as well as the stuff for petro-fuel. The instructor said he's been running B20 for five years, and never had a temp related problem. He did have a few clogged fuel filters after 20,000 mi when he first started running it. Beware of this with used trucks! Bio will clean out any crud in your tank, lines, ect. Keep a spare filter on board. He runs B100 in the summer months with no issues. Keep in mind I am speaking of transesterified bio fuel not swvo. I have yet to brew a batch as the wife doesn't want it in the basement. I guess I'll have to keep it in the bathtub then.

About that water in oil post. Beware! 6.9 and 7.3 are known for cavitation issues in the coolant. This wears away the cylinder walls from the back side. I had a '90 7.3 that had pin holes in three cyliders. Wish I would have known before I had that engine rebuilt. I could have bought a complete reman with warranty for less than what that bore and sleeve job costed. Have that checked before you lay out the cash.

Denny