View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Motorcraft Filters

Happy New Years to everyone who contributes to the V10 Forum.

I always though Motorcraft oil filters. ( I like them and would use nothing else on my V10 ) were made by Wix but I found this article in Wikepedia that says they are made by Purulator.

Manufacturers

Major brands of oil filters available in the U.S. include FRAM (a Honeywell brand), WIX (an Affinia Group brand), Purolator (a joint venture of MANN+HUMMEL and Bosch), AC Delco (a General Motors brand) and Motorcraft (a Ford Motor Company brand). Some brands, such as Ford's Motorcraft and GM's AC-Delco, are manufactured by other companies (i.e. Purolator for Motorcraft) but are generally designed and quality tested by the brand selling them. Many of the brands manufacture filters for a wide variety of makes and models of vehicles. For instance, Motorcraft sells oil filters that fit GM, Chrysler, Honda, and Toyota vehicles, in addition to Fords. The manufacturer usually provides a list of what makes and models they supply filters for.

Denso is also a major global manufacturer of oil filters as are MANN+HUMMEL and Mahle.

[edit] Comparisons

Some have argued that there is a major difference in quality of various oil filter brands, and some studies have proven it. Generally speaking, those branded by automotive manufacturers (such as Motorcraft and AC Delco as listed above) usually meet higher standards without costing significantly more than cheaper-made (and poorer performing) brands such as FRAM or Pennzoil brand. Very expensive brands such as Amsoil, Mobil and K&N perform excellently, but cost a lot more than traditional brands.

Many major auto parts stores (such as AutoZone, which sells the Valucraft brand and NAPA, which sells NAPA Select and NAPA Gold) offer their own brands of oil filters, but these are also made by other major oil filter makers.

Perhaps the largest original design manufacturer of filters in the U.S. is Champion Laboratories, which manufactures at least some of the SuperTech, AC Delco, Valucraft, and many other filters. STP (licensed from Clorox) and Champ are their own brands. Champion was also a major supplier to Bosch USA until Bosch bought an interest in the Purolator company.