View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 09:20 PM
helitom
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 F-250 4wd diesel super duty brakes

My F-250 has 60K miles and is in need of its fifth (as in 5) turning of the front rotors. No one I know with a similar Ford, in similar or worse service has had anything like this problem. The front brakes start chattering within a heart beat; its 's not something gets worse over time. It has happened when going downhill pulling my 5th wheel R/V, and has happen with just my ATV in the bed (appx 600 lbs). Mr. Goodwrench at the local Ford dealer solution is to turn the rotors. As a bit of background, when the truck was new (less than 10K miles) I had the ABS system light come on on two occassions, both times while just driving down the freeway and not using the brakes (or had not used them for a long period of time). Each time Ford said they could find nothing wrong, and reset the the on board error recorder to 0.

My non-technician solution was to get some high performance rotors and pads. The high performance shop is more than willing to sell me some, but it is their opinion that there is something going on with the brakes; ABS system or proportioning valve. Maybe the early on ABS light is a clue?

Anyway, since my local Ford dealer does not know a solution beyond turning down the rotors again, and again, and again; it doesn't seem their heart will be in more than a cursory diagnosis of a possible ASB problem. Is there a way I can eliminate or confirm there is a problem with the ABS system?

Oh yea....before any discussion comes to it; I have towed cattle, tractors, car carriers for many years. I do know how to drive a rig. This truck is the only vehicle with which I have ever had this kind of problem. That's why I thinking the root cause may be in the ABS, and may have been there from the day Mr. Ford said it was OK to sell this truck.