View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Daniel5.0
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
Those JDs are awesome. What kind of engine is in it?
Most JDs before 1960 used the horizontal 2-cylinder design, with the pistons on their "sides" (like a Porsche or VW Bug) but both pistons are forward, not opposed like a boxer-style engine. The crankshaft is 90 degrees "wrong", going left-to-right (tranverse). Why? Well, JD got into the tractor business in the 19-teens by purchasing the Waterloo Gas Engine Company, and that's how their model, the Waterloo Boy, was setup. The advertisements touted fewer moving parts, easier maintenence (I'm sure even texastech would rather adjust a JD clutch than a red'n), no "change in direction of power"...all true to a certain point, mostly just marketing flap. However, having only two cylinders meant bigger pistons and longer stroke, giving the old JDs their legendary torque.

Is that all and a lot more than you wanted to know? Kinda got carried away there...

Anyway, I mentioned my great-grandpa and him starting us on the tractors, then forgot about the picture. This was probably 3 or 4 years ago, four generations of my family got our late-styled JD Bs out and took a picture. Left to right: me, my dad, my grandpa, my great-grandpa.