Thread: V10 6.8L mpg
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 08:00 AM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whjco
Sorry, not so Matt. If that were the case, you wouldn't see UPS, Fed-Ex and other delivery, utility and service companies using diesels. It will last longer than a gas engine because it runs cooler and has a much larger amount of oil circulating through the engine plus the block and interior components are built much heavier. The 7.3 diesel is essentially a Navistar/International T444E commercial truck engine that is built for rigerous use but also comes with a higher initial price tag. The long-term operating and service costs are much less on a diesel or these companies wouldn't be using them. The problem with a diesel in a personal vehicle such as an Excursion is that we usually don't put the kind of miles and hours on them to benefit from the long-term cost efficiencies of a diesel.

You are correct that they're more efficient when they're allowed to run for a longer period of time, but it won't "kill that diesel" using it for short runs. I've got a 2000 E350 PSD work van that I ordered new with just over 99,000 miles on it and it continues to serve me well and without any repairs or problems whatsoever.

Regardless of which engine he chooses, I certainly would recommend having the vehicle inspected and particularly give the front end a thorough look as these vehicles have a tendency for bad ball joints and related steering component wear.

BJ Lexington, KY
Pretty much agree with every thing but the "runs cooler" part. If it ran cooler than a gasser, it wouldn't function very well .....they get hot.