Thread: Is This True?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 12:30 AM
cruzinf100
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is This True?

I'm a member of mercurycougar.net and got a post in reference to my '63 F100. Can someone confirm this to be true or tell me of sources to back up what my fellow cougar member is saying? Thanks good people!

Originally Posted by cj750
Nice! Looks a lot like my old '64, only mine was a lot plainer. Yours is a pretty rare truck. Sometime during '63 Ford realized that buyers weren't taking to the unibody design and they had to offer a regular, non-unibody wide bed to keep from losing customers. Unfortunately they didn't have a separate styleside bed to match the then-current cab so they were forced to use the '57-'60 design bed as a stop gap, even though it didn't match the lines of the cab. For '64 they had a matching bed which was used until the bodystyle was phased out for '67.

I have no idea of numbers produced, but '63s still sporting their original "mis-match" beds are a bit of a historical oddity and certainly not seen much anymore.

One thing I remember is that trucks from those years are simple and built tough. No plastic anywhere. About the only things that can kill one are rust and total neglect. Take care of it and it'll outlive any of us.

Jay