Thread: Deer Hunters
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
The only problem with less hunters is going to be more deer. I do agree that there are a lot of hunters that go for the partying rather than a clean kill, hopefully raising the licenses will deter them from going into the woods.

The buck to doe ratio is out of whack already, raising the cost on the licenses will just amplify that. It won't stop me from hunting, but the average joe that only hunts opening day or week won't hunt anymore, this will be a huge loss to Michigan's economy. I shoot 4-5 deer a season and by the next season the freezer is just about empty. I don't buy beef anymore, I have plenty of red meat from the deer.

I also know a lot of young hunters that won't be able to afford the license so they just won't get into hunting. I hunted this year with a high school senior in the UP, 3rd year hunting for him and his first deer harvested. He may not be able to hunt next year with college bills, and the new license fees. I'm sure there will be more than just the few that I know of that won't hunt also.

I really hope that the experienced hunters are helping the younger ones, they are the hunters that will keep the sport going for the next generation.

I'll get of my soap box now.

Toyman