View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 02:34 AM
RogueSpear2023
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kermmydog
I was just visiting with friends of ours that have an 05, 4x4, 6.0. They have had just a awful time with it. 2-turbos, 3-egr valves, injectors, I forget the rest. They got Ford involved and it was still a nightmare. Ford wouldn't get involved until the started to take action on getting it "lemon lawed". Then I know a guy that bought an 06 4x4 6.0 I believe he bought it used with like under 10,000 miles. He hasn't had any trouble with it. Our friends said they know several owners of 05-06 that have had the same awful luck that they have.
Thinn=k about it Ford has changed diesel engines twice in just a few years. The 6.0 making a 2 or 3 year run. If the 6.0 was any goood why would Ford only run it a few years. It costs alot of money to change designs. Dodge & GM are still running the same diesel that they came out with in last what 8-10 years. Oh they have made upgrades but it the same engine. Now Dodge Cummins has a 6.7 diesel out. I know nothing about it. But I see the old 5.9 Cummins is still available in 08.
I believe the reason for the switch was, so it could meet the stricter gov't emissions laws that are coming in 09. The 6.0L replaced 7.3 when the 7.3 couldn't meet the new emissions laws of 03. So it's not so much a bad engine, just that it could not meet the stricter laws. Like the 7.3 couldn't in it's day. I'm sure if ford had its way they would be still producing the 7.3L since it's arguably one of the most reliable engines ever made.