Thread: Did You Know?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 03:37 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I grew up in Nevada, Bill. I have mixed feelings about mining. I agree we need to get these materials. But we have to be responsible about it. One of my big problems with mining today is, at least in Nevada most all the mining companies are Foreign Companies. They get big tax breaks to mine our AMERICAN soil & raw materials. Yes they do employ many people with good wages & benefits. Then because of the good pay & a big shortage of worker they hire these people that can't get jobs anywhere else pay them good money the next thing these people start thinking their better than the rest of us. I hate that attitude. We lived 2 years in Elko NV. The largest gold mines in the world there. I'll tell you the people that they were hiring was unreal. These mines aren't like in the old days where they built towns, schools, etc. These mines really tax the infrastructure of a community. These mines make token contributions to the area they mine today. I mean these companies are making billions of dollars, but only contributing thousands is my comparisons. Bill I don't know your age I'm a senior, old. In the old days these mines came in built housing for there employees, built schools or made big contributions to build schools, police, fire,things they impacted. Not today. If you & I wanted to go to Canada or wherever and start a mine we would have to do far more than these companies do coming here from other countries.
Enough from me. Again I have mixed feelings & I have watched it be GOOD but also see a lot that is not GOOD FOR ARIZONA or NEVADA.