View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 07:43 PM
DCameron
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I'm confused...

First let me say thank you, Steve, for the wealth of information. Amazing, and thank you again.
After a trip to Ford Service this morning, and after what you have said I am even more confused. Service reps talked amongst themselves, consulted the parts dept. and finally came up with the answer that yes, it might in fact, have an electric motor that controls the blend door. Unfortunately, no one can seem to say conclusively one way or the other. They say they can't tell until they get in there and have a look. I skipped that, as just the diagnosis alone would have cost me $100.

Anyway, there is no control ****, it is all digitally selected. We swapped out the controller and the problem still exists, even with a different control head in the truck.

When the truck is cold, first thing in the morning, it will work normally for 15 minutes, then cuts off the panel vents, and will blow out everything else fine. It will blow out the defrost by itself. it will switch and blow fine from the floor, or it will do a combination of both, but just not the panel vents.
After the truck is shut off for a little while (but still warm) when restarted it will work fine, but this time for only about 5 minuted or less. Doesn't matter whether the temp selected is hot or cold, that part all seems to work fine as well.
The last thing, is that it makes no difference whatsoever what the throttle is doing... whether it is at idle or at high rpm, the same problems/symptoms still exist, with the very same pattern. Defrost and floor will work fine, either separately or in combination.

I am about ready to search this forum for the instructions on how to pull the Dash/Panels for myself, and just replace everything in there on General Principle. The Dealership is telling me that it is about a $1000+ job to pull the dash... I'd sure like to avoid that, but I am pulling my hair out here. You wouldn't think that the make-up of the components in the dash would be such a mystery..... but no two people at any of the shops that have looked at it have the same thing to say. You, Steve, are the only one who seems to know what the heck he is talking about and you have had more useful info than anyone I have seen here. Thank you again for the help and suggestions, any more that you might have with this new info from me about the pattern of operation here (or lack thereof) will be greatly appreciated.