Old 11-09-2007, 11:49 PM
gingerbreadmaniac
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by psquare7575
I've got one of these to go on soon..

My amp pulls 40 amps alone

http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=6

if anyone wants to upgrade there alternature on our old fords do what I did, i took a 3g 130 amp alt out of a 93 taurus straight from the scrapyard ($30) the mounts were identicle to the stock one in my 77. this is a internally regulated alternature, from what i remember it was 2 wires. 1 was a main power feed to battery (dont use the stock wire it isnt big enough, pull the wire out of the donar car) and the other was the stator wire (i think that wire needed to be switched to the key) that wire also has to have a resistor put into it i got one from the local electronics shop ($.75) i left the old voltage reg and plugs for the alt in the harness and carry a spare original alt in my drybox. you need to switch the pulleys as the taurus used a serpintine setup, the v belt pulley fit right on. i had to try a couple different makes of belts as the 130 amp causes alot more resisitance over the 60 amp so i was chewing up belts.

I run a stereo and all that but my main power draw is the 7 100watt lights i run when im wheeling 700watts/12v= 58 amps

i found all sorts of conflicitng information on the internet so i dug up the wiring diagrams for the 93 taurus and whent to town, going on 3 years no problems, i did tests on that alt and it will put out 130 amps at idel, when i flick my lights on i can actually hear the engine be slightly dragged down for a second.

-gbm-