View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 12:38 PM
N2ZPY
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Bio processor

Ok guys I just finished this post for another site and figured I would throw it over here so you could enjoy it as well.......

This is my Bio processor that was built from scratch. I pulled bits and pieces of ideas from others on many sites to put it all together.

This system will process 40 gallons per day with a capacity of 120 gallons in progress at any one time.

Here is a shot of the entire setup. The closest barrel is the cone bottom processor. The middle barrel is a continuous mist wash and the far barrel is the dry tank.

The processor tank itself is a 55 gallon drum that had the solid bottom cut out and a cone base added. This processor is heated by a 4500 watt water heater element that is controlled by a water heater t-stat.

The methoxide is mixed in 5 gallon jugs and then introduced into the processor through a quick connect fitting.

The wash tank is set up for a continuous wash. Usually I will turn on the wash on my way to work in the morning and then I have a washed batch when I get home.

Here is a shot of the mist head in action......

The dry tank is set up for heating similar to the processor. I pump the fuel across a 4500 watt element and then it is sprayed out through the top PVC pipe with the fan blowing across it. I usually run the temp up to about 160F. Humidity plays a big roll in how fast I can dry a batch. I have dried 40 gallons in as little as 45 min and I have had batches take up to 3 or 4 hrs.

Here are a couple pics of the drying process. Notice the color change from the wet to dry shots.

Wet...

Dry....

Here is a shot of our lab table with the titration supplies on it....

My finished fuel is stored in metal 55 gallon drums under a vacuum seal. I have found that if I run the fuel into the drum right when it finishes the dry process and it is still hot it will draw a nice vacuum on the drum as it cools.

Kevin