Old 11-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dsldrvr

The opening section of ASTM D6751-07b states
"1. Scope

1.1 This specification covers biodiesel (B100) Grades S15 and S500 for use as a blend component with middle distillate fuels.

1.2 This specification prescribes the required properties of diesel fuels at the time and place of delivery. The specification requirements may be applied at other points in the production and distribution system when provided by agreement between the purchaser and the supplier.

1.3 Nothing in this specification shall preclude observance of federal, state, or local regulations which may be more restrictive."

The standard can be seen in its' entirety at the ASTM web site, direct link to the standard below
http://search.micronexx.com/search?i...DS&q=biodiesel
Select the third document on the list.

It really leaves no ambiguity it is for BD that is to be blended with petro. The version posted on the NBB website is a little misleading if it states for use without blending.

Even if the standard was for BD to use as fuel you must realize that all existing engines, including those being manufactured at this time were designed for fuel meeting the petro standard, ASTM D975-07b. So the manufacturers still have wiggle room. Just because a new standard is developed doesnt mean existing engines are compatible with fuel that meets that standard.

My personal opinion you can probably run B100 with no problem but dont be surprised if Ford refuses to honor the warranty if they can prove you were running fuel with more than 5% BD blended. Of course they will have to prove that the fuel caused the problem if you take them to court but that can cost more than it is worth.

As I said before I agree whole heartedly with anyones stance against using bad home brew, especially when good homebrew can be made for about the same cost.

I

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 11-06-2007 at 12:57 PM.