View Single Post
Old 07-24-2002, 07:13 PM
Cottontail
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabover pop-up camper on a f150

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-Jul-02 AT 09:14 PM (EST)]I have some good news and some bad news. Yes you can put this camper on your F150. It sounds like maybe a Sun-Lite or a Jayco or even a Palimino. The Pop-up Camper is designed for the 1/2 ton truck. I have a Sun-Lite Eagle SB (Short bed) myself. I have carried it on a Dodge Dakota, Later a Dodge 1/2 ton Ram and now I have it on an F250. Yes, the F-250 carries it better than the Dakota but I can't tell much difference between the F250 and the 1/2 ton Ram. I think the earlier advise givers were thinking of the behemoth 3000lb plus campers you see on the road. They would be too much for even my F250. That is the good news. The bad news, their well intended advise may have caused you to miss out on a good deal. If not I believe you would be very happy with the pop-up and should concider the purchase. We camp much like you do, we live at sea level and love the montains and the Pop-up certainly saves fuel. I have owned two Sun-Lite Pop-ups, the first was a Hawk and we carried it on a Toyota extended cab. I did add add-a-leafs to that truck but it was to raise the entire truck, It was a 4x4. You did not say what length the camper is in relation to box length. 6 foot or 8 foot. Either will work for you the 8 footer will mean leaving the tailgate down. Put all heavy item as far forward or in cab.
By the way I am selling my 98 Eagle sb. we have gotten to the time in life that allows us to stay on the road longer and are looking at 5th wheels. Before you make any hard decisions take a look down the road, will you be able to camp in this camper for longer than a weekend, will you be able to camp for more than a weekend. Look hard, it may be better to get a trailer or 5th wheel. I don't like the pop-up trailers you pull out each end, they take 30 minutes to set up I don't concider that as camping. Engineering duties are best done at home in the drive way not the campgrounds. email if I can help,Breirrabb(No Email Addresses In Posts!)