View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 03:24 PM
jean42mi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question flashing OD/light/flashing 4wd/Whats going on?Bad sensors OR big Trouble?

Hello, I am new here and hope I am posting correctly.I have been reading and learning even though I know nothing about cars.
My 97 explorer is doing the same as others are talking about, blinking 4wd light started but seemed to drive fine, this went on for months, happening now and then, not all the time. (6 flashes, stop then six flashes)
Then the OD light started doing the same thing. It didnt do it all the time only now and then. Then the car started like grinding or like the brakes were on while turning corners.

I took it to the garage and they put a new auto shift motor $300+$100 labor,I believe he did call it the transfer case to fix the 4wd problem. Drove great for a week, no problems but I dont drive much so my son took it out for a hour or so and the OD/off light started blinking again and when braking it started screaching even though the brakes feel fine!
This screaching is something new, never had this before! Only after they put that new part on for the 4wd. It only happens now and then. I think the longer it is driven it starts its crazy stuff.
I feel this new screaching noise has to be from something the garage did when putting in this new case, but when I called they said probably not.
Thinking back to last year about this time, the car started running rough ,"hard start" he called it. So I took her in to my usual garage, he did a total flush. (no idea what sort of flush b/c I know nothing about cars) but it has ran great until all this started that I have been talking about.
Sorry for such a long post but I hope I can get advise before I spend money that I don't need to spend and before I take it back to the garage and have some idea of what Im talking about and now with this new screaching and being a woman.
Could this new auto shift motor be causing this screaching noise? What to do now about the OD/off light? I dont feel any thing wrong with the way it drives as far as the gears shifting.
As far as disconnecting this 4X4 that I have read about in some posts that would be fine with me but not sure if this is my problem or was or something we could have done instead of replacing that case?

Now the 4wd seems ok but the flashing OD/off and this new scraching when braking. What is it and what to do? My old mechanic told me to always check the sensors in this vehicle before doing anything, but he is no longer working. HELP.