View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 05:48 PM
rmoore7167
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem continues with charging system

ok..... Im still having problems...let me explain what I ve done...

1- I took single wire alternator to have checked. I watched test. At 1200rmps alt put out 12volts...when reved up to 3000rpm put out 14volts

2- With battery unplugged...i charged..went to 13.4volts..then monitored everyday. Its now down to 12.85volts. Then put on truck and hooked up. There is same amount of bleed everyday 0.02volts/day. So I guess I dont have anything thats draining. I imagine that voltage without a load would probably continue to drop til it reaches some level...i imagine about 12!

3- I hooked up battery and alternator. Started truck...now I need some help here. I took lead out of alternator (bat) with 10 gauge wire to positive terminal of starter solenoid ( same side as battery). I started engine and took my tester and put on positive post of starter solenoid and negative wire of testor to negative of solenoid....Is that right? it read 11.4 volts. I tried putting positive of tester to positive of solenoid and to ground but measured zero.

4- I measure voltage of battery after above and voltage of battery dropped to 12.5 volts.. Which is about right....I can drive around and even on longer trip it will eventually not start after about 4-6 starts

5- I cant find a fusible link in wire from alternator to starter solenoid. In fact I replaced wiring just in case..

6- so do i have this wired wrong? single wire from alt to + of starter solenoid...thats it.. right? HELP!!! this is driving me crazy