View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 05:10 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3.0L Idle Air Valve Problems

I bought a 98 4x4 Ranger last weekend. It runs pretty well except I have an idle problem. It seems to want to idle a little high when it’s just setting. Also when coming up to say a stop light or cruising though a parking lot it doesn't want to settle down. It acts like the throttle is getting stuck but I've checked everything and mechanically it's fine. I also thought vacuum leak or PVC. I checked all of my lines and the valve but I couldn't find a leak and the valve seems to be working. Now after doing a search on here I got to thinking it might be the Idle Air Control Valve. I replace it this morning and it didn't change a thing. Then as a goof, just to see what would happen, I unplugged the valve and drove around like that. The truck ran great! Just like it should. It's a little fussy on startup and the Check Engine Light came on but other than that it runs like it champ. So my question is how is the valve controlled. I know it gets is signal from the ECM but how does it know how to adjust it. Is it possible that there is a messed up sensor that is telling the ECM the wrong thing or is the computer jacked up.