View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile On the topic of welding...

Hey guys, when you need to weld up a hole in steel, and you can get to the back side of it like the holes on the cowl where the stock hinges bolted to as an example.You can hold a piece of aluminum or brass to the back side of the hole then when your wire hits it, it makes connection, and you're able to weld the hole up, but the aluminum or brass is not welded to the hole.(Be sure to grind the metal to a bright finish, removing all paint and rust on both sides before starting)

Hey FORD guys! I find it aggrivating to install an automatic Ford trans to the engine even in the floor out of the vehicle.Here's a good one: get the correct thread bolts for the bellhousing(usually 7/16x14) get them about 2 to 3" longer than the stock ones, cut the heads off of them, take a cutoff wheel, and cut a slot in the end where the head was.Then simply use a slotted screwdriver to screw them in.You really only need about 4 of them 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom.After you've done this you can seat the torque convertor all the way back (MAKE SURE YOU'VE PUT AT LEAST 2 QTS OF TRANS FLUID IN THE TORQUE CONVERTOR IF IT'S A NEW TORQUE CONVERTOR) then you can pick up the trans and line it up on the long bolts, you can slide it forward, and have it lined up while you spin the torque convertor to line up the "studs" on the convertor. When you've got them lined up you can slide it all the way forward, and install the other bolts that are not in.Then you can back out your alignment studs and replace them with the regular bellhousing bolts! This is a way cool trick!! It really works.

Thanks guys for the responce of this thread, and moving it to the top.I think it will be helpful to all!! Just remember that these tips, while very simple most of the time, are not ment to belittle anyone, just for help to everyone!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Truxx1956: