Thread: Vista Ultimate
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. M
Vista ultimate is an excellent OS. However, keep in mind the resource demand is about double that of a properly equipped XP sp2 system.

An Idle XP pro system will peg 220-280mb of ram just sitting there. This is with no applications running.

An idle Vista system will peg almost double that. The "minimum" requirements for the system is 1024 mb or RAM. Ideally, you'd like to run 2048mb.

I have a system with 2 gigs of ram and Vista works great. If you have an older CPU and/or minimal ram (1 gig or less) I would stay away from the OS. Upgrade to 2 gigs and you will be happy.

Regards,
Mike
I am still checking it out, but I do love the OS. I was worried about having an older designed system....2.4GHZ processor 512 Ram and 40 Gig HD. However the OS min requirement is 512 ram, 800 megs processor and 20 gigs (HD) I think...Mem Turbo helped out with XP and does a great job managing the idle ram. (BTW, I am running the 32 bit version.)

Thus far I have not noticed any declined speed in operation over XP Pro. However I do forsee potential problems with Aero and my current graphics card.