Thread: 6L Air Intake
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 11:09 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmsrbrt
I've looked at the Donaldson web site and I can't find anything as to efficiency of 99.9% removal of 5 micron particals and larger. The term "99.9%" was used once if you use thier filter with thier 'pre-filter', so could you point me in the direction of finding any test results? The Ford site says thier filter is 98.5% efficient in the Course Dust Test, K&N says thiers is 97% to 99% in the same test, but the AFE Pro Guard 7 reports 99.5% in the "FINE" dust test, and is the only time I saw "fine" mentioned. Being the dummy/novice/nexbie/non-techie that I am, if Ford's filter (I assume the Donaldson filter) is 98.5% efficient, why NOT go with the K&N (97-99%) cold air intake? I thought I had done a lot of research on this, and ordered the K&N, but now, after reading this thread, I'm having doubts. Never had a diesel, although all of my gas engines have given me over 250K of life before they gave up the ghost. I'm hoping the diesel will go much further.
Take a look at the following document from Donaldson. It shows the PowerCore Ultra-Web filter (which is the blue media one we have) as being 99.99% efficient. But it does not specify particle size in this document. Although I have been told the Ultra-Web media efficiently filters particles 0.3 of a micron and larger.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/001220.pdf

Another document.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/shoptalk/036476.pdf

Also, what I posted above was from Ford and I think they answered your question.

Q : Don't all filters stop the same amount of contaminants from getting into the engine and turbo?

A: Absolutely not! The 6.0L and 6.4L OE filters, produced by Donaldson Company, Inc., stop 99.99% of contaminants the size of one micron or larger. Some aftermarket filters trap only 95%. What does this mean to an owner? Driven in the same conditions, a 95% filter would pass 50 grams of contaminant through to the engine that would be trapped by the OE filters! Even a 99.00% filter would pass 10 grams of contaminant. This could mean an early end to your engine or turbo.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by PowerStrokeHD; 09-06-2007 at 11:13 PM.