View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 09:26 PM
heavy d460
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1961 merc unibody

I have recently aquired a '61 merc, and '63 ford, both unibodies. The merc is in incredible shape, body wise (just paint rust, only 2 small thru holes), the ford a little ruff but not unrepairable.
The guy I got both truks from ($400) has left the ford completly stock, but had the idea of putting the merc onto a 1970 lincoln frame. I'm not traditionally a ford guy, but heard about these truck and went and had a look, and drug them both home that afternoon. They are the coolest trucks I've ever seen.
After spending about a week on FTE site reading as much pertinent info on frame swaps as I can.......my question is this is there any relatively painless swap to get this '61 merc rolling......I am pretty good with a wrench, and known for welding/fab skills. I'm not afraid of the work, but it seems to me, the uni's where an entity all ther own. The '64-'73, '74-'79 doesn't apply like it would for a normal truck. Ihave a 1984 f-150 that I can get for free, would that work as well as any other frame. I have already started to rebuild the 1970 lincoln 460(hopin' for 500 + HP.
Hopefully a fella named GARBZ can reply, as he seems to have lots of expeirience in this