View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 09:25 AM
JDBILL
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on problem.....

I had actually also posted this to the 6.0 folder, and posted this follow up there as well: (Summary....I'm no longer conviced that I had a bad tank of fuel....I think it was more coincidental than anything. To answer your question though, I first noticed the problem about 10 miles after filling up.)
--------------------------------------------------------

Got the Truck back last Friday, and I still thought it was lacking power. Had a friend drive it, and he thought it was fine, so I started second guessing myself. I hooked an empty flatbed to it, and was then convinced it was still bad.

Took it back to the dealer this morning. They confirmed that fuel pressure was too low, so they replaced the pump. The pressure was better afterward, but still not quite up to par. They called and asked if they could replace the filters (which were just replaced 2000 miles ago at a Ford dealer 4 hours away when I first started having the problems).....I said go for it. They called back and said that took care of it.

My Ford dealer is telling me that only one of the filters that they pulled out appears to have been changed last month, and that IT wasn't a Ford filter. Now I'm not one to argue much over the quailty of one brand filter over the other, but when I pay $100 for a pair of Ford filters installed, that's what I expect get. I called the other Ford dealer, explained the problem. He talked to his mechanics, and they say there is no way they would have used anything but a Ford filter....but is going to still reimburse me the $100. I'm guessing some young punk decided he wanted a new set for his truck, and decided to throw his Auto Zone brand into my truck thinking that no one would ever know the difference or catch it. Had I been more diligent in my filter changes, that probably would have been true.

I'm pretty sure the unchanged filter caused the pump and/or injectors to fail.

I'm picking my baby up in an hour, so hopefully, it'll have the nads that it used to have.

Lessons learned....change filters as prescribed, run cetane booster additive on a regular basis, and drive it like I stole it occasionally (I think I already did the last one, but I'll just have to be more diligent about it from now on.)