Old 08-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Flatdeck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LuNaTIcFrEAK
The Greg?
Lol, yes, that Greg.

Okay, I've seen you around there then.

Yeah, more time to ride would be great. I did ride yesterday, and am thinking of going next Saturday as well.

Preppy, the Can-Am's are nice machines. Usually the fastest in their class, excellent engine braking, and the 3-year warranty is awesome. I haven't tried a 500 yet, but have tested the Outlander 400, 800, and 650 (and the Renegade 800). The 500 shares the suspension with the 400, and shares the base engine with the 650/800. I love the sound of the V-twin! The 2008's have a faster-engaging Visco-lock, and improved sealing for the CVT case. The SST frame appears to be the weak point; several have done in their frames after striking a stump or similar unmoving object, or after a roll. The 650/800 have a heat issue with the plastic in proximity to the exhaust (ie. the bottom of the seat) melting, so that may be an issue with the 500 as well. One thing I don't like is that they only have one hand-brake lever which controls both front and rear brakes, rather than two separate levers.

Not sure if this is relevant for your situation, but have you looked at a side-by-side rather than 2 quads? The Polaris RZR is only 50" wide, the same width as my Rincon with 26" XTRs. Check out the video I shot, if you haven't already seen it.
http://atvphotos.ca/gregquads/bobs_rzr_stave_compilation.wmv
It's great to be able to talk with your passenger, and have some cargo space for your gear and a cooler, all while being no wider than a regular quad. If you're sold on a Cam-Am, I expect that they'll be coming out with their side-by-side soon, and hopefully it'll be a narrow machine and not a wide-body like the new Kawasaki.

Oops, we now return you to our regular programming.