View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 02:51 PM
christcorp
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you understand. When I said that our country can't produce enough ethanol, I didn't mean because of economics. Based on how much that can be produced per acre of land, the amount currently being produced, and the amount of gasoline it would replace, it has been estimated by Universities and researchers that to replace our gasoline with E85 for ALL vehicles, that it would require approximately 71% of all our farm land dedicated to growing crops dedicated to the purpose of making ethanol. What will that do to growing food to eat? We'll have to subsidize farmers even more because they will want to grow whatever they make the most profit from. If that's producing corn or whatever for Ethanol, how do you get them to grow vegitables, grain, and other items. Then there's the fact that because our country is so vast, there are many items that can't be grown everywhere. I.e. you can't grow corn everywhere. You can't grow tomatos everywhere.

Now, if they can find a crop that can be converted to ethanol; doesn't require taking 70% of our farmland to do it; isn't going to cost the taxpayers more per gallon than it's worth as a commodity; and isn't going to harm the environment; then maybe it can be a solution. Unfortunately, none of that can be done at this point. The crops they currently use for ethanol is too inefficient. It requires too much land. It's being subsidized $0.51 per gallon with our tax dollars. And there are many studies that show that burning ethanol may actually be as bad to the ecology as petroleum products are. Better in some respects, but worse in other. later... Mike....