Old 08-01-2007, 06:31 PM
sadsack56
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in need of some technical assistance. I got a 2.3 EFI in a 90 Mustang (No MAF sensor) and the car has been running like it is possessed. When I bought it off the kid, he stated that he did some "work to the Cam" - no other details. I thought nothing of it. But the Car will enjoy running at 2000 rpm at start and slowing will work itself down. But if it hits 1300/1200 it starts to choke and will die once it hits 800. Other signs of trouble - BIG Black spot on the ground after each startup. I have almost change every sensor. Some of the back yard mechanics stated the NOn MAF sensor vehicles are not as easy to beef up as a MAF Sensor engine. No Engine light, no found vacuum leaks (yet).
I have gotten it past the stalling by revving the engine. Got it on the road and it ran at 18-2100 rpm at 50-55 so I was pleasantly surprised. BUT, at a light, I being unsure of the car had two feet on the brake - luckily - the car started to idle down fron 1100 to 800 - not trying to die - then out of no where - the car jumped to 1500 rpm!! If I was not holding the brake firmly, I would have been in the intersection with traffic. Needless to say I drove it home.
I got a FREE working 92 2.3L MAF engine from a guy changing to a 5.0 (no MAF , no wiring, but a Computer yes). It is the 8 spark plug system so it is different from what I have.

First any thoughts on the first engine?
Second, if the young lad install a CAM wrong, how will I know and what can I do.
Next, besides getting the wiring harness from a 92 and the MAF - can I use the Cam from the 92 on the 90 to improve my situation? Can I "deaden" the four exhaust burning plugs?
I just want to drive this convertible (yeah -I'm a big kid) year round with the top down - because I can!
Thanks for the help.

Sadsack56
66 Mustang Coupe Auto 289 2B
90 Mustang LX 2.3 Auto Convertible
99 Ranger XLT 3.0 Flex Fuel Auto 2WD