View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 09:28 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rethington
I picked the truck up from the dealer today to get another opinion. The thing that bothers me is that the truck runs great with no problems at 75-80 MPH. I don't lose coolant and everything appears to be normal. Even hauling my 5th wheel trailor it works great except when climbing a very steep long hill.

I am taking the truck to an automotive shop which is also an authorized banks distributer. I actually took the truck to Gale Banks Engineering headquarters in Azua, Ca and had the equipment installed by Banks Engineering when I first purchased it. The guy who owns the shop is a personal friend as well and I trust that he will do whatever he can. The first thing he intends to do is to determine whether in fact I have a blown head gasket of if something else is causing the problem.

I have had the truck to 2 dealers. The 1st one was unable to find anything wrong at all. I was unwilling to accept that everything is OK as I have seen and been in the truck when the overheating occurs.

I believe that my friend intends to run interference between me and Banks Engineering. If not I will proceed. I have talked to them briefly and they didn't seem to willing to make any committments. They only advised that the FMC warranty manual stated that FMC had to prove any add on equipment caused the problem before declining to make the repairs under warranty.

Here's another twist. The dealer service writer and diesel mechanic did not recommend that I replace the gaskets with stock gaskets. They recommend that I use Hypermax gaskets with original equipment head bolts. They will procure the parts and do the installation and warranty the engine for 90 days after repairs are completed.
You need to have the 6.0 tech "pressure test" the cooling system and do a leak down test on the cylinders to confirm the leaking head gaskets. A minor head gasket leak in the early stages may only leak under severe load, but unfortunately once it starts, it will get worse as the head gasket erodes and begin to leak under small loads.