View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 03:25 PM
The Freak
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whether the pulls are sanctioned or not find out what the compation rules are. They will dictate how you need to build. In a light weight street gas truck class, a properly built 300 has a chance of being competative. If the class allows big block v8's forget about being competative and plan on just having fun.[/QUOTE]

This is really going to be your underlying issue. If you are pulling in a "stock" class, I would say why not the 300!!! It's cool to see guys trying different combinations, but once you start playing with modified gas trucks you are going to run into some serious pullers. It is not simply having hp/tq and being able to spin the tires. You have to figure in engine rpm's, gearing, tire size, wheel speed, track speed and weight distribution to name a few things. Depending on where you are competing, it can get very technical. I've seen plenty of guys with tons of power that can not compete. They do not have all of the other aspects figured out.

As far as your hydraulic clutch question goes, I would run it. We have an 83 Ford that is running a 466 with the hydraulic clutch. As long as you are not wanting to "slip" the clutch too much coming out of the hole, it will hold. If you are planning on serious performance/pulling, you would be better off to convert it to a high performance pedal/fork style application.