Thread: Propane Curious
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 10:37 AM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propane Curious

I recently bought a parts truck. Its a 78 F-250 4x4 SC with a 400. The original owner ran it with propane for many years. The guy I bought it from had taken the propane stuff off and used the truck for several years as a welding rig. The guy I bought the truck from still has the propane setup since he didnt include it with the sale. The 400 has been recently "overhauled". The guy I bought it from said he cleaned up the motor, put new rings and bearings in and basically freshened up a 130k mile motor. When I drove home it had good oil pressure for a 400. Any way my question is, would it be worth my time to get the propane setup from the guy since Im sure it would be fairly cheap. Ive never driven anything besides a forklift with propane so I dont really know squat about it in a V8. Is the power simular to gas? Is it more cost effective to run propane? Im going to put the 400 in another truck and while its out should I make any upgrades to help run on propane? Or do I scrap the whole propane idea?
Any suggestion would be appreciated.