View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 10:58 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Phydeaux88, regardless of whether Wheatina misinterpreted what the IV number means, her logic still seems to hold water to me.

If the IV is a measure of the NUMBER of double bonds per volume of oil (ie a quantitative measure), then how is her example of mixing equal amounts of two oils with IV values of 94 and 144 and ending up with a mixture of oil with an average IV of 119 wrong?

Although it does not reduce the IV number of the camelina oil itself, it does "dilute" the concentration of double-bonds in the end product - compared to the concentration in the camelina oil. Though I guess you could look at it from the other perspective and say it raises the concentration of double-bonds relative to the canola oil.

The whole point being that the IV number can be brought into an acceptable range by blending - which is something anyone can do. Whereas hydrogenating camelina oil is not something that would be either practical or safe for small scale producers - like a home brewer.

I am not familiar with camelina oil. Is it cheaper than soy, canola, rapeseed, or any of the other more commonly used feedstocks? If so, then the idea of blending in as much camelina as possible while still staying under the target IV number of 120 has some appeal for small scale producers.