Old 06-30-2007, 01:59 PM
oldfart
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.K....so mebbe it wasn't a good idea....

Well now folks forgive my absence of late. I'm working long hours and time is not my friend. Anyways..let me also explain...(big sigh)...I am a most frugal man. I don't cotton much to waste. (another big sigh) And so this tale. I returned from my trip to Alaska recently and one of the treasures I brought back was a humongous big King Salmon that I caught myself down in Ship Creek! Yup..there is a SHIP Creek..right in downtown Anchorage, Alaska! Now since it was late in my trip I simply froze this behemouth up WHOLE! Gutted of course..but still 32 inches of silver-sided beauty and destined to be cut up into purty salmon steaks for on my grill. About 25lbs. of salmon slabs....mmmmm! Now today me and Big Brother Art decided to whack this baby into steaks..not filets..steaks. We wrassled the piscatorial (fish) delight out of the freezer and discussed how to best go about this job since it (the fish) was frozen as hard as my 1st. ex-wifes heart! The chainsaw got the first nod...declined due to the bar-oil contaminating the fish. The circular saw didn't have enough depth of cut. The neighbor wouldn't let me use his bandsaw. Then we had an epiphany! (that's a really great idea) The Saw-Zall! Yes folks..not much says manliness as a Milwaulkee Saw-Zall with a stonkin' big 12in. 6t.p.i. blade hanging from it! Clad in bibbs and aprons...clutching the appropriate power tool and a handy Black & Decker Work-Mate bench..we was in business! Now I don't know how many of ya'll have ever attempted to hold down a frozen 3ft. long salmon on a Work-Mate and wail away at it with a Saw-Zall...not many I'd wager...but here's a few tips. First off..do any of ya'll have cats? Tip # 1....sawing a huge salmon into useable sections is a helluva lot harder if ya got to keep flicking felines off the workbench and avoid stepping on them! A 1 lb. kitten can/will climb right up yer pants-legs..rappel the length of yer back and sit on yer shoulder to watch the whole proceeding wrasteling match..and lick his chops while doing so! Tip #2! A whole frozen salmon is downright slippery! And cold! Wear gloves! Tip #3! A whole lott'a salmon is going to be spewed out all over yer front yard as the saw chews down thru the fish. This, of course, attracts more cats! I started out with 11 cats/kittens...wound up with 35 cats/kittens..2 'possums, 3 dogs and several curious neighbors! And mind ye..this is even before all the real fun began! More to come..of course. Audie..the oldfart!