View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 05:56 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroked162
From what I've heard, yes they can and any such mods or installments of aftermakret chips, tuners, or programmers will void out your warranty. Ford issued a flyer to my loacl dealer with those statemnets on it. I wanna know what they're gonna do when somebody gets a lawsuit goin saying they are black balling the aftermarket performance demand. Only time will tell

Cowboy Steve
Please don't take this personally Steve, you sound like a smart guy who knows that you have to pay to play, this is aimed more at those who don't understand the issues involved. Newbies so to speak that think you can do anything to a mechanical device and have no dire results. So...

I would hope that justice would prevail and Ford would win. Ford, and by extension other new truck buyers should not be paying for other users play time. Tuners have there place for sure. But if Ford/Navistar designs a engine for a paticular horsepower and torque rating, and will stand behind it with a warrentee at those rated levels, then no one should demand or get any warrentee coverage on the failed parts if raising those horsepower or torque levels cause a failure.

If was just as easy as Ford installing a different tuner package on there trucks to get more horsepower, Ford would do it at the factory, as it would cost nothing to Ford and it would if give them bragging rights over the competion, which would translate into truck sales. Win Win for Ford, if the engine could take it with all drivers, all loads, all climates.

To me, tuners are for the enthusiasts - those who have abit more ability to realize that it costs money to go fast. I for one as a potential new truck buyer do not want to pay a higher price for a new truck as Ford passes along increased warantee costs. This is not fair to me, make those who modify pay for there own experimentation or mistakes.

I find it very interesting that the first poster who started this whole thread had no idea of the EGT's, but was crowing about how much power it made. But at what cost? If you take a worse case senario, and there are internal engine problems for this mistake, or oversite, should Ford pay for that? Absolutly not. If there are no problems, good lesson learned, and Ford still pays nothing, which is the only fair thing.

But I will say that denying warrantee coverage on say a failed front ball joint, would have nothing to do with a tuner. And as such should be fully covered. If Ford is rejecting all warrentee claims on any truck that is modified, then I would have to say that they are facing a law suite that Ford most likely loose.

My two cents - David