Thread: 5.4 knock
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 08:13 PM
1workhorse
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5.4 knock

I have an 04 F-150 with the 5.4. I bought the truck new and like all first model year vehicles, had some kinks that I worked out. I had cam phasers replaced at around 57,000 miles. When they replaced them, they replaced the tensioners as well. I know they put the updated service parts in. Initially, It was a tick at idle on the passenger side. All has been quiet until around 92,000 miles. I now have 102,000 miles I have a rattle noise around 1200 RPMs and a little higher when the engine is hot. It sounds like a series of knocks at a very fast pace. I am reluctant to pay the dealer more money due to the amount of miles on the truck although it is in immaculant shape. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-20 and have so since day one. I am interested in doing the job myself since I have mechanic experience with diesels and OHV engines but have never touched these modular engines. Anyone out there that is a Ford tech with experience or anyone who has tackled the job himself that can give me some insight on special tools and tricks of the trade would definately be appreciated.