Old 06-21-2007, 11:31 AM
oldfart
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just returned from Alaska....not the Alaska I knew...

Folks upon my recent return from a week in Alaska I wanted to share some thoughts with ya'll. My last visit to Alaska was in 1967..40 years ago. How things have changed! Back in '67 Anchorage was a small town..just 2 paved roads. And Eagle River, Alaska was just a gravel road alongside a fishing stream. Not a single home and a few pull-offs at the favored fishing holes. (sigh...) My Alaska is now gone. Anchorage is now a bustling city..complete with belt-way traffic, by-passes, strip-malls and Wal-Marts. Eagle River is now a suburb. Houses are side-by-side, yards are now postage-stamp sized and crime is on the upswing judging by the sounds of sirens and screeching tires. The drive down towards Soldotna was once a full days trip. Now it takes only a coupl'a hours...passing countless bars and tourist traps. Back in '67 seeing an eagle was a treat...now they ring the walls at Clam Gultch picking up carrion from the halibut boats like so many white-headed vultures. No beauty here...just buzzards in top-hats and tails. Fishing for King Salmon on the Kenai River is reduced to trolling large lures behind guides and boats..no skill involved, needed, or wanted. I suppose it was inevitable...progress they call it. I'm glad I was there in 1967. And I'm even more glad to be back home in Pa. More to come when time permits my friends. Love, Audie....lost in my thoughts..