View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 11:26 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Parrsboro - well not sure any law is going to stop a criminal, they have chosen to disreguard living by a societies rules anyway. I think somehow we as a country need to bring back *personal reponsibility. Something I learned from my parents, and, the Boy Scouts. I am 48, so I even learned this from some teachers I had, strict, but carring ones. Nowdays it is all about Dr Suess I guess.

Certainly though, the fact that criminals will ignore laws does not stop or negate the need for attempting to reduce these criminals from obtaining guns and other weapons, but we all have to realize that even if guns were totally illegal, nothing is absolute, and there will be some in circulation.

We as a country tried the "absolute" thing once before - Prohibition, and it don't work did it? In fact all it did was to build up the criminals.

So all that legal, lawabiding citizens can do in my book is to pass reasonable, Constitutional laws reguarding checks, and being dilligent to watch out for those who might be attempting something illegal.

* schools teach nowdays that you have rights, but they leave out the responsibility side of things. By the grace of goodness we are born into this great country that in all honesty, has something totally unlike all other great societies - freedoms for all - but along with these rights comes the responsibility of protecting these very rights. This is where the school system falls down in my opinion. We as parents can teach, but if the school system at every turn is shooting us down, then it is hard for the kids to not get confused.

Much like when the parent says do not smoke or drink and then does those very things in front of there kids. Kids see this hyprocosy, believe me.

David

Last edited by dmanlyr; 06-20-2007 at 11:32 PM.