Thread: Guns n Ammo
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 10:36 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Placermike
The 30/30 Model 1892 was a 30 cal with 30 grain cartrage. In 1903 they came up with a different cartrage and grain load did not work too well..1906 they came up with the 30-06 (I think about 154 grains).... I forget what the grain load is, but it is still working today.

It must also be remebered that this was during a transistion between black powder and modern powder.

I am getting older, and memory is not like it was when I was studying gunsmithing, so correct me if I am wrong.
Sounds like you have a pretty good memory to me ! You are correct that the 30-30 was origionaly going to be a black powder cartridge, but was changed prior to public release. And you are right again in that it predates the 30-06 by a few years.

I have a Marlin 336A (1969 production) chambered in the 30-30, my only lever action, bought it a few months ago just as a lark. (or maybe I had been watching too many old westerns!) I have only shot it once, and I was suprised at the amount of kickback it has. Nothing like my son's 45-70 Marlin, but still suprising in comparison to my various 7.62x51 / .308 rifles.

I seem to have a afinity for 30 cals - I do have one 9mm and one 22LR, but the majority of what I own are various 30 cals or 7.62. I have about <gasp> as much fun and interest in guns as I do my Ford trucks

Interesting subjects that come up on a Ford site But then I feel that we are more of a community, with many interests, the diversity of which I am a fan! I am on a couple of other gun orientated forums by the same handle, dmanlyr, a handle that I have been using since the old BBS pre web days You just might see me out there.

David

David