Old 08-09-2002, 07:36 AM
Citoriplus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you like a bigger easier to change oil filter on your 4 banger?

Like many of you I do much of my own maintenance and repairs. I like to keep the later to a minimum it’s always annoying, often a plain old PITA, and too often expensive. Also it’s always annoyed me when changing the oil filter you would always get some oil all over the side of the engine. I have never been very happy with the small 3600 filter that’s installed on the 2.5L engine. Recently I found out that the gasket and mounting screw for the 3600 is the same as that of the much larger FL-1A that Ford used on almost all of the older engines for a long time. A little research turned up a right angle filter adapter made for hot rod builders who had a clearance problem between the filter and the frame when using the Windsor style blocks. It’s designed to reorient the filter horizontally but I ordered one and it fits perfectly on the side of my 2.5L and the FL-1A filter while close to the block, does have plenty of clearance. There’s even more clearance between the engine and the frame. Now with it mounted vertically I can prefill the filter and not worry about oil dripping down my arm or on the driveway the next day after the oil change. The Ford part number is M-6880-A50, I got mine from Jegs, PN= 397-M-6880-A50 ($49.99), but it should also be available from Ford dealers. Special order probably from the dealer. If anyone wants to see the before and after installation pictures I put them up on the Webshots web site (last 5 on the page). Here’s the address;

http://cards.webshots.com/cp-31274348-hbVt-album/31973383IvVonqrJXL

I especially like the one that shows the size difference between the two filters. The FL-1A appears to be about 30 percent larger, bigger is better.

Warning; If anyone does do this be careful of your oil levels. The new filter and adapter take more oil so you'll have to add more than you used to when you change your oil. I needed 1 & 1/2 quarts just for the adapter and filter.