View Single Post
Old 02-26-2001, 02:06 AM
bigsix
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can Flatheads Be Happy in Modern Trucks?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 26-Feb-01 AT 03:09 AM (EST)[/font][p]Please forgive me if I'm cluttering the Boards by repeating this, but I didn't really get any direct responses to the basic question, which I originally posted by mistake at the tail of a specific flathead thread. This is a general flathead question, from someone who knows very little about them.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My Question: does anyone know of any successful retrofits into a "modern" truck, like my '88 F150? I try to find trucks that are "hurtin' units," and I thought it would be fun to do a cheap retrofit of a flat head into a late 80's F150.
1. Would the Mazda 5-speed and bell housing from my 4.9 bolt up?2. Is there an aftermarket motormount kit?
3. Would it be grossly underpowered compared to the 4.9? I understand they came in different flavors, and the later ones had, what 95 hp?
5. How expensive and difficult would it be to get the 145 hp. of the 4.9 (if that's a correct figure?) out of a flathead? (The idea is inexpensive, bolt-on mods here....)
6. How expensive are those groovy finned flathead heads?
7. How about fuel economy, especially when putting out 4.9-like power?
8. Will I still be able to tow my 3000+lb. boat?
9. Does anyone else have thoughts like this, or is it me?

Lastly, does anyone have a "wave" or soundbite they could stick on the site, so that we could click on it and hear, say, a stock flathead, and maybe a "full house" flathead mill, at the track? I must confess the only flathead I ever actually heard run, up close, was a retrofit into a farm tractor--could have been an 8N. And I was a kid and don't remember how it sounded--it was one of about 5 or 6 tractors pulling a house up a gravel road--true story!

Peter