Old 05-20-2007, 03:58 AM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ditto above

most cheap compressors are twin cylinder single stage which is all I have...2- 60 gallon unit's and a 20 that i tie with the weaker 60 at my hobby shop. I'm currently running the heck out of my DA sander and you need air...they are very demanding tools. I tied two 20 gal units together for a while and that equaled about 10 cfm...not even close and the water seperator couldn't handle all the moisture so I had a lot of water at the tool.

Right now I'm using the 60 gal, twin cyl, 10cfm@90 husky and same thing. I have the 20 that i'll tie into it and try that. That will give me 15cfm@90 and 80gal. My unit at home is 13cfm@90, cost 185 at harbor freight and its a little better. Eventually I'll tie the 2 60's together for 23 cfm and the 120ga will allow the air to cool a bit more i hope...my compressor tanks get hot.

CFM is as if not more important than tank size. run 20+ feet of galvinized steel or copper pipe then put a water seperator before your rubber hose. Lube your tools often...I use mercon V...synthetic (approx)10wgt tranny fluid with a ton of cleaners in it.

If you can effectively run a DA you can run about anything and paint with hvlp.