View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 01:47 AM
TOUGHLover
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

[QUOTE=christcorp]There is definitely a lot of truth in these posts. Unfortunately, there are a lot of truths that people don't include. For instance, citing 30-40 cents a gallon for gasoline in the 60's-70's is a very bad example and very misleading. If you look at the cost of living and inflation, then gasoline hasn't gone up in price nearly as much a much of the food we eat, the cars themselves, house prices, etc... Gas may have gone up 5 times as much as in the 60's, but house prices have gone up closer to 10 times as much. Plus, our pay has gone up more than 5 times as much. So, in reality, gasoline prices have actually gone down. (Yes, I took stats in college too)

Hey "Collegiate-Mike"!!!!

Your post here barely dignifies a response - but I suppose I asked for it.

Homes, food - these are staples (people actually "NEED" them), and are APPRECIABLE ... WORTH something. "Gas" is EXACTLY that "G-A-S" (an ever-so-slight oversimplification) - really not much different (at all) than that which emits from our BOWELS. The reason it is more "expensive" (no, what a minute - you said the price has "actually gone down") is basically SIMPLE "Supply & DEMAND" (do they still teach that in school??).

Another thing is; I have lived and/or worked in 14 countries.

Doesn't matter where anyone has lived and/or worked - anyone that is able to read (or ask a simple question for that matter) can ascertain the price of "petrol" at any point on the globe - at anytime (day or night ... new invention: "Internet" ... "World-WIDE-web" - check it out).

With the exception of the oil producing countries such as the middle east, the price of gasoline in the United States is still by far cheaper than most of the world. In Europe try $6-$7 a gallon in US Dollars.

"News" Flash.

Another truth is; if you remember the 60's-70's, then as mentioned, why didn't you do something about this problem then.

This is a "truth"?? Sounds more like a "question" to me ... without a question mark I might add. I did (my part) - the (VAST) "Majority" did NOT. Besides, crooks in Washington continue to "wag" us as that which protrudes beyond a dogs @$$.

I am part of that generation also, but I agree.

?!?

You can believe that some of us are selfish because we like to drive our cars/trucks/suv's for more than just transportation. We also drive them for recreation.

I do not believe that 'some are selfish' because they "like" to drive their vehicles for more than transportation (I "like" to too) ... I believe (I WELL "KNOW") that "SOME" ARE COMPLETE IMBECILES as Wal*Mart and their ilk (take your pick - how about "Big Business" ... and the slick-sters on Wall St. and Madison Avenue ) OWNS "SOME" of these "individuals" (rather "groups" - unfortunately) by virtue of the fact that they are lead around by their collective proboscis like puppies on a leash due to they're COVETOUS nature: "Look honey, there's a "new" (and "improved" - yeah right) "slicer/dicer" at Wally-World" ... "looks good sweetie - I'll go warm-up the truck - and as soon as we get back, you can take the truck back over to the same freakin' part of town to get your DAMNED nails manicured - even though you have an appointment at the same place (again) tomorrow to get your freakin' hair done"!!!. Point?

This errant nonsensical silliness doesn't warrant another second of my time at the moment - I will get back to it though ...