351m EGR

>I am going to install a
>4bbl carb and performance intake
>on my truck. the
>current set up has EGR
>with the carbon canister and
>the lines going all over.

79fordslug,

The carbon canister is not related to the EGR; it is part of the evaporative (EVAP) emissions control system. It's purpose is to capture fuel vapors from the fuel tank(s) and the carb bowl in the carbon canister when the engine is not running, then burn them off each time the engine reaches operating temperature. The EVAP system has no affect on performance.

> I want to pull
>all the EGR out including
>the carbon canister to simplify
>the engine and to gain
>more vacuum pressure.

Unless you have leaky vacuum switches or hoses, the EGR and EVAP systems should have no affect on manifold vacuum.

>Should
>I pull it off and
>can I just block holes
>in the intake, carb, and
>gas tank?

The EGR system on M-block engines (351M/400) consists of exhaust passages in the intake manifold, an adapter plate under the carb, and vacuum operated the EGR valve itself. The carb has no EGR ports or fittings.

You can disable the EGR by simply plugging off the vacuum hose that operates the EGR valve. If you disable the EGR, you must tune the carburetor to operate correctly without EGR (i.e., enrich the mixture). EGR allows excessively lean mixtures to be run without pinging.

>or should I
>leave it on and match
>it to my performance intake?

For future emissions compatibility (even if you decide to disable the EGR), I suggest an EGR-type manifold, like the ones provided by Edelbrock and Weiand. If you choose the Edelbrock manifold, their EGR manifold's carb mounting pad is much better than the one on the non-EGR manifold.

BubbaF250

1980 F250 4x4 Custom, 351M/NP435/NP208/D44HD-TTB/D60-FF/3.55s 6750 GVW, Rust & White.