View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Ratpack
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Triboy
I had the dealer look at the hatch yesterday. The service manager told me that sometimes when the seals are new it causes the hatch to bounce back when you try to shut it and it only partly latches.
I don't believe that. Being a rubber engineer, it doesn't hold much water. The only way that seal should be springing the door back and keeping it from latching is either the seal is bad and too hard or it is still out of adjustment and trying to compress the seal more than it should. The first is easy to tell, just push on the seal with your finger and it should be fairly soft. Compare it to the other door seals to see if there is a big difference. The other scenerio is that the latch is too far back and the seal is being compressed too much. Think of it like a pipe, once the two side walls meet, it won't allow the door to go any further except with excessive force (slamming it). So, if the distance to the latch is greater than the thickness of the compressed seal, it will not latch correctly. I haven't looked at mine, but it should be fairly easy to adjust it yourself, usually two bolts to loosen and just slide it out a little and retighten. Then try closing it and repeat as necessary. Make sense?