View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 01:27 AM
B A dawg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tater17
what size socket did you use? I have a 2000 F-250 4x4 psd that I bought used with no spare tire key. I don't care if the spare tire locks I would just like to be able to get the tire down. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sorry, been off doing other things, like, working on PWCs.
You know, I honestly don't remember what size socket- I know it was a 12 pt.-
11/16 maybe?
What I did is put the socket on the end of enough extension bars to reach the lock, then "feel" if the socket slipped over the OD of the lock, if it did, I went to the next size down, until I found a socket that was slightly undersized. Then I hammered the socket on to the lock so that the 12 pts grabbed the OD of the lock. I know, ouch. The lock is hardened so your socket will be toast. Use an old Taiwan one, or a Craftsman you can return. The idea is to jam the socket onto the lock. Once the socket is on the lock, use the ext bars and a ratchet and lower away. After the tire's out, you can get to the winch and pull the lock (grab it with a pair of Vise grips and pull out).
You can buy a new lock with key from dealer (about $25 I think) or *****can the whole lock idea. I did. I figure nobody's gonna try to steal my spare, or if they want to try they can meet Mr. 870.
With a little effort this works- it did for me, just cost me a stop by Sears for a new socket.