Old 03-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Rediranch_too
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using Lincoln/Mercury 9" Disk Brakes on 78 F150?

Has anyone looked into using the parts off a 70's Lincoln or Mercury 9" rear end that had factory disk brakes, and putting them on...well...any other Ford 9"? I'm looking to get disk on the rear of my 1978 F150 heavy half that has a 9".

I've been looking at all the different rear disk brake conversion kits avail and while they seem nice, they are $$$ and you can't pick up parts at your local Autozone, Napa, or my favorite junk yard.

I searched this forum and found where someone used the front disk brakes on the rear and also where they used parts off a number of different vehicles for a 1968 F100 brake conversion.

I read up on a site that seems to have a lot of specs on different 9" rearends that basically tells me I can't simply swap the entire axle housing from a 70's L/M because of housing/shaft length differences.

However, I'm thinking if I can find a 70's L/M (havent seen one yet, but havent looked either) I can probably either cut or unbolt the rear disk assembly off the housing and simply weld or bolt up to my F150 9".

Thoughts/Comments/Anyone tried?