Old 03-09-2007, 12:16 PM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Detroit Truetrac vs others on rain/ice/snow - Opinions please

Please contribute with your first hand experience. I have searched/read several of the threads on this board, and this is meant to be a "fact-finding" thread. It will become more useful once the engine is running properly again.

Details:
1988 Ranger XLT, Super-Cab
2.3L, 5sp, 4x2
Approx ~124k
Rear axle - 7.5" 28 spline open diff (forgot the gear ratio). I am willing to swap rear-ends to an 8.8" if I have to.

THIS WILL NOT BE USED OFF-ROAD OR TRAILS. The most off-roading I do is to roll over something, curb, snow drift, etc..... Only driven on the street. I like the idea of the Detroit Truetrac (like the one Eaton makes), that gives you lock-up when you need it and limited slip when you don't.

What I want is more traction in the rain/ice/snow. Particularly when I am parked, or trying to move up a hill. Some times when I park I have to park on a hill or against a curb. Snow may fall or water freeze, it doesn't matter the same thing happens as you might expect. Right rear spins and you go nowhere. I had a situation last year where my right side was on ice in the gutter and the left side was on bone dry pavement, and I wasn't going anywhere. Before you all say "get sand bags", I have 5 of them in the bed right now. Yesterday I was unable to get up a hill after trying for 2-3 min(like several other folks too), so instead of blocking traffic I shifted into reverse and hopped over the median to go down the hill the other direction and take a different route. The look on the guy's face behind me in his Mercedes as my front end swung past his was priceless.