Old 03-07-2007, 12:11 PM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Question 88' Ranger - rough idle, poor MPG, lacks power

I have a similar thread in the Ranger section, but it seems very few want to read more than one paragraph so I will try to keep this as simple as possible.

Engine had a mini-overhaul detailed in this thread.

Details:
1988 Ranger XLT, Super-Cab
2.3L, 5sp, 4x2
Approx ~124k

Symptoms/Findings:
  • MPG dropped from 23+ city to 18-20.
  • There is virtually no pick-up (no pun intended) after it is warm. It is "ok" at best when cold.
  • If I park, go in a store, come back out and start up, it will start fine, then 10-30 sec later it will start to stumble/sputter.
  • TPS is believed to be bad from old codes that were pulled.
  • Idle is VERY rhythmic once it is fully warmed up. Kind of like what a sound wave looks like. When it dips down in RPM it almost dies.
  • Idle is normal at "morning"/cold start-up, and as I said the power is better, but still not normal.
  • Timing at idle (didn't touch "spout" connector or anything else) was 10 deg BTDC, and didn't get more than 20 deg BTDC when I rev'ed the engine.
  • "Total timing" never got above 20 deg BTDC. (Don't know if this is a problem since I can't find a listing for "total timing".
  • Had to use the throttle stop screw to bring the idle down from 1000-1200 to around 800-1000. This is when I noticed the poor idle.
  • Filling the tank seemed to improve the idle quality.
  • Compression tests were 190-195 across all 4 cyl.
  • No new codes were pulled yet (lack of time to do it).
  • Fuel pressure read ~30-35 psi while running +leaking, and I couldn't get a reading with the engine off due to the little o-ring that fell apart (reason for the leak). New o-rings coming from the gauge manufacturer.
  • No fuel found in the FPR vac line.
  • Spark plugs looked like this.

Codes pulled a few months ago -
1) 23 - TPS
2) 31 - EVP
3) 67 - NPS - Not important since it isn't on my trans anmore.
---------
4) 11 - System ok

Other useful (or useless) info:
I can stand on the pedal while it is in gear on a flat with no knocking or pinging, and barely accelerate. Getting it up to speed is also a chore, not to mention any inclines or hills and I loose speed. It is almost like when I was a kid I had a 1 cyl moped that would do the same thing. Of course it is normal for the moped with only 1 cyl to do that.

Also - Can someone tell me, show me, pics would be great, the exact location of this spout connector on an 88' 2.3L EFI? Apparently what I thought was it was not. I think I found it but not sure.

Sensors/parts replaced during the "overhaul" with OEM Ford parts:
Air temp
Coolant temp
Oil pressure
PCV
O2
EVPS (sp? acronym) - EGR position sensor
Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil
Air filter
Water pump
Thermostat
Tensioner
Oil pump

Non Ford parts:
TPS - Ford part on order, but I don't have it yet.
EGR
Fuel filter - I have an OEM one but this one should still be good.
Timing belt - I have the OEM one now, but didn't at the time.

Last edited by G2IC_Wraith; 03-07-2007 at 12:14 PM.