View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by dallbright
I think on the 16 cyl. locomotive engines (newer, but not new, electronically controlled models) the engine idles on less than a full complement of cylinders. It may be done for environmental reasons, fuel economy reasons, or harmonic vibration reasons. The newest have automatic engine start and stop functions, but the ones before that might idle for hours on end. I'm not sure how they accomplish it, just know the engine changes its sound and vibration pattern on some sort of patterned rhythm.

Once the hardware and electronics are perfected for "camshaft-less" engines, seems an engine could be programmed to run on any number of cylinders at any time for any duration with minimal "dead cylinder" drag. The reliability should be right up there with EFI systems as the same type computers and programs would be used.

I do recall read about a Volvo "big-truck" engine having been developed to run cam-less about 8 years ago, haven't heard much since. Think of the power savings, not having to turn all that valve train hardware.
We already have "camshaft-less engines".......2 strokes!