View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Stormin' Norman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Boycotting won't work

I lived in Guadalajara for almost 5 years. You've all got good reason to be skeptic. My wife is from Monterrey, MX, up near Laredo, TX. You feel like you're in a mix of Chicago (heavy industrial/commercial city), ultramodern, until you get in the 'burbs. But you feel safe in Monterrey.

Guad is an entirely different case, as are the Border towns and Mexico City. But there's a lot more to enjoy in Mexico than the beaches. My next trip, I'm not taking a thing except my toothbrush, my glasses and my passport. I'll go to the capital of Guanacuato State, also called Guanacuato, rent a bed and breakfast, and a car (I have a Mexican Driver's license). The B&B costs about $50 for 3 days/2 nights. 30 minutes away is the Shoe and Leather Industry of the world, with every major brand offering their wares at their 'farmers' market-like' kiosks. It takes about 3 days to see half of them! Buy it all, and ship it back. What's the duty on Rockports for $10.00? Samsonite luggage from the factory, at 15 percent retail or less? That's in Leon, Guanacuato.

But the treat is strolling through Cortez's original town, the capital. The streets are not for cars. Its all those little 3-person wide 'avenidas'. You take your car through the few vehicle streets, in the original escape routes that Cortez built. You go to the main plaza, and order a cold beer, tell the waiter you're a Canadian, and watch the food he brings (free!). If you go in October, you have to book in January - Its the International Latin American Film Festival. But any other time, it is awesome!

About an hour south of Guad, there's a small Artist town, called Tonala. The best pottery, glass and metal artisans in Mexico have their studios there. We bought a 200 piece, hand made, hand painted and glazed dinnerware set for 2,200 pesos ($300 CDN). I saw some boutique here selling one plate for $22.00! From the same guy!

We have great friends and family in Mexico, and you really just need to leave the tourist traps aside, and see how warm and genuine Mexicans are. Don't argue with authourities, pay the bribes and move on. Or take a Mexican Madre along when you have to deal with an authourity. It is a matriarchal society, and the ladies can move mountains down there! You want to get her ticked off enough about the issue to go to bat for you, but after that shut up! She'll get it done! The men always defer to angry, PMS'd matron.