View Single Post
Old 02-18-2007, 07:18 PM
BigB
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New FX4 Roush - advice needed

Hello all,
Long time reader - occassional poster but now I've got a project and I'd love some advice from this great group.
My lease is up on a 2004 FX4 - best vehicle I have ever owned!
I'm heading into the dealership Tuesday to put a deposit on a new one. I'm going to buy this one and make it my "Dream Truck"...
I've spec'd an 07 FX4 plus, Black, fully loaded (20 inch wheels, NAV system etc) and a 6.5 foot box.
I'm posting here as I'm going to order it from the dealership with an inter-cooled Roush supercharger & exhaust system - I have a ton of questions.
I live in Toronto, Canada - I'm ordering from Meadowvale Ford who have a long history with Roush and are one of a very few dealers in Canada able to sell Roush Trucks - hoping I've made a good choice here.
I am not ordering a full on Stage 3 truck as I love the stock look and I often drive some fun back roads.
Some questions:
  • Should I be looking at any mods that won't effect the ride height of the vehicle: i.e. Sway bar.
  • Oil - thinking I should run stock for the first couple of thousand & change early / often until broken in... I know I will switch to synthetic, any suggestions on when?
  • Spark plugs - Roush have "cooler" spark plugs on thier web site but don't call for them specifically with the supercharger - should I run stock or have the dealership swap in something different - any other ignition mods I should be thinking about?
  • Gauges: anything critical here to keep an eye on things? Recomendations... that fit asthetically well in the FX4 cab?
  • Exhaust - the Roush list the 5.5 foot box - I am going to order the 6.5 box... will the dealership be able to make the kit fit or should I be looking at an alternative? (I will ask them, but there's a ton of experence here)
  • Dyno / tuner shops... Anyone from Toronto reading on the forum have a recomendation - again, my first project truck so looking for references re who to deal with.
  • Fuel Millage - wouldn't be buying an F150 if this was a major concern but the reading on this is very inconsistant... most reviews (i.e. Edmonds) talk about very poor millage with the Roush but folks postings here don't seem to be experincing this. If you were "testing" a Roush F150 I imagine the millage would be poor - giddy-up! being the order of the day, but driving every day, will I really see a big drop off when I'm not playing?
  • What have I forgotten?
I promise to post pictures and provide plenty of real world feedback as the project comes together... dealer thinks I'm looking at 6 to 8 weeks to order so I have some time to take input from here and work with the dealership.
I looking forward to your thoughts,