View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Motorhead26
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Lot to Think About!!!

Wow, I guess to put in lamens terms, I never really thought about all that. To answer some of those questions.......
- I would like to tow although it is only a 2WD. If I had to tow I would want the torque enough to tow another car. I am in the military, this truck makes my third vehicle and if I have to attatch a trailer and tow my little Nissan Sentra(work car) to my next duty station then I want to have the power and dependability to do so. I'm sure you all can understand that.
- I would like the thought of knowing that I built it.
- I do want my engine to look very nice, but not as nice as something show. Something that I can lift the hood to for friends, or what not, and still see something nice to look at, but not entering it in any competitions.
- And, YES I know not to buy anything for the block until I get it back, thanks for the hook up Boltbuster, I definitely would have needed to know that but I've got some friend that are helping my out with a couple question along the way. This site gives me options and other answers. I can jot down the questions to right away, when they pop into my head, and it is nice to know when someone has been there and knows what I need to get, and what I need to check on before i spend money that might be useless spending money on.
As of right now Bob I have an Automatic with EFI, my question to you is, What do you mean by keeping the fuel injection? I had kind of planned on it because I do not know if I wanted to deal with a carburator or not. I have heard that they can make a car/truck a pain to deal with, and can suck more gas than if I was to keep the regular intakes. Then again if it is going to help my performance/power then I better go salvage my next door neighbors carb intake for that 302 that he is never going to use.
I like the automatic because I honestly hate shifting. I do know something will have to be worked on the trans. because when I shift from Drive to Park or vice-versa it is slow at times, getting to its destination. Just another problem I might have to deal with. I may be possibly moving in 9 months and if that is the case I want my engine installed by that time. It would be nice to have the engine done, and then later work on the little things that involve the COMFORT of the drive.
You guys are so much help, please keep it coming. Opinions matter especially if you have rebuild one before. Since I have already started the refurbish/rebuild process I am not about to get a crate engine. I thought long and hard about it. I will actually save money if I build my own, for the simple fact I have a decent block that is not in any bad shape, and I DID NOT PAY FOR IT. It's nice to get things for free, especially if they can be salvaged and put to good use, ya know! Let me know ya'll!

Motorhead26